Re: Can't run mol 0.9.58-1 on PowerTower Pro and LinuxPPC

Subject: Re: Can't run mol 0.9.58-1 on PowerTower Pro and LinuxPPC
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Sat Aug 18 2001 - 11:05:25 MDT

On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 12:20:57PM -0400, Robert M. Fuhrer wrote:
> > Robert M. Fuhrer wrote:
> > > I tried using the ROM file I grabbed from my machine, but that
> > > doesn't seem to work. It dies mid-way through the boot process
> > > (before it gets to loading any control panels), showing the little
> > > empty plain dialog with no buttons or text in it.
> >
> > Because you can't run 9.1 on an OldWorld ROM (like what I'm guessing
> > that machine has).
>
> Huh? I'm able to run 9.1 on this OldWorld machine with its OldWorld
> ROM (outside of MOL). I don't understand what you're saying, unless
> you mean that MOL has some restriction that MacOS itself doesn't.

If you used the rom_grabber and oldworld booting, then it should be
possible boot MacOS 9.1. However, oldworld booting on 8.6 and later
*NOT* recommended (it might be more unstable, and the pram might not
be saved/restored properly). Moreover, only certain boot ROMs are
MOL compatible (ROMs from 7200, 8500 and a few others).

Oldworld booting is intended to used on MacOS 7.5.2 - 8.5.

> I *was* using the 3.8 ROM file with MOL's "newworld" boot method.
> Unless I missed something, the 3.8 ROM file *is* a NewWorld ROM; it
> just doesn't work. I think the problem was that the 3.8 ROM is too
> old for MacOS 9.1.

Mixing old "Mac OS ROM" files with newer systems is *not*
recommended, although there are a few exceptions (The 3.8 ROM
work well on all MacOS 9 installations I've seen for instance).

> Anyway, before I saw your message, I fixed the problem by using
> TomeViewer to grab the 9.1 ROM file from my MacOS 9.1 CD. That
> works fine.

This is the recommended method. Since I'm currently working with
a revised user guide... MacOS did not install a "Mac OS ROM" file
in the System Folder by default, right?

Regards,

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908174