Re: Sharing disk b/w MOL and LinuxPPC: simple set up doesn't work.

Subject: Re: Sharing disk b/w MOL and LinuxPPC: simple set up doesn't work.
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 10:38:45 MDT

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 03:29:48PM +0200, Philippe Lelédy wrote:

> I solved a very strange problem with one HFS partition mounted r/o under
> Linux and r/w under MOL, which sounds clever and simple. BUT ...
>
> Here start problems:
>
> Linux sees immediatly changes made by MOL to a file, but when the file
> size increases a lot, only the beginning of the file is read by Linux. I'm
> sure of that, b/c after hours of debugging I'd the proof with

Yes... this is slightly unsafe. It won't corrupt the partition
but you won't necessarily see the latest modifications.

Worse, it is remotely possible the kernel could panic when
a r/o mounted volume is modified externally (I have never
seen it, but I image it could happen).

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908174