Re: help! yaboot is gone!

Subject: Re: help! yaboot is gone!
From: darren david (darrendavid@thebomb.com)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 00:57:56 MST

the saga continues:

well, i can get into my linux partition on my second hard drive off
the rescue cd (YDL 2.0) with:

mkdir /templinux
mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb11 b 3 75
mount /dev/hdb11 /templinux
chroot /templinux

..and that's all well and good. a few changes to yaboot.conf so that
the ybin options are happy with open firmware paths:

# ybin options
boot=/dev/hdb9
ofboot=ultra1:9,\\:txbi
device=ultra1:
macos=hd:,\\:txbi
#nonvram

so... when i run "mkofboot -v" I get:

mkofboot: Warning: Incompatible version of 'nvsetenv', nvram will not
be updated
mkofboot: Warning: Unknown archetecture [sic], /dev/hdb9 may not be
bootable on this machine

but it appears to create the filesystem on /dev/hdb9, bless it, and
do everything else it is supposed to. now, i can actually see the
linux partition when i boot with "Option" held down (yay!). When I
select it, it brings me into yaboot (stage 1) that allows me to
select booting into linux or Mac OS. However, when I select linux, it
brings me back to the initial graphical screen that i got when i
first booted up with "option" depressed (two partition buttons, a
reload button and the right arrow). thus beginneth the endless loop...

any new thoughts? thanks for all of the help so far... close, but not
quite there yet...

darren