Re: Some FAQs

Subject: Re: Some FAQs
From: Quentin Mason (quentin-mason@cornell.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 16:28:15 MST

Hi,

> * Whenever I startmol, I get the startup chime, but I ALWAYS have to
> go into the sound control panel and reset my sound output to
> mol-audio. Is there anyway to get it to remember my sound setting?
No -- try location manager. The chime is independent of sound settings,
and can be explicitly disabled in /etc/molrc.

> * When I mount a CD and stick a read-only entry for it in /etc/molrc,
> the CD comes up on the desktop but I can't play it with itunes or
> Apple CDPlayer. Game CDs also mount, but arent recognized as CDs that
> the games can find so they wont start :(

It is being advertised to MOL as a hard disk, not a CD. There is
currently no support for mounting/unmounting stuff on-the-fly.

> * Can I get mol to start OS X ??
Not yet. Apparently Darwin may have worked at one point.

> * When MolAudio is in use, it squelches all the sounds from Linux. Is
> there a way to get it to share??
There was a patch to use ESD; I am not sure of the current status.

> * Is DVD playback in the future for mol??
Why? use xine in Linux -- MOL does not have accelerated graphics => need
10x faster computer to decode and draw in software.

> * Any clue why VirtualPC pukes in mol??

It is trying to access underpants of MacOS and MOL has already changed
them. VrtualPC may be working on this.

> * Is there a cure for MOL addiction???
Yes. Work ;(

> Thanks in advance - MOL ROCKS!!!!!
Thank Samuel (a donation?)

MOL is not yet ready to run all the Multimedia of MacOS inside linux.
Small Quicktime video/audio is the only multimedia reason to fire up MOL
as Linux has no decent Quicktime player. There is absolutely no point to
running music CD's or hard-disk mp3's from MacOS as Linux already does
this as well if not better. Turn off the sound in MacOS [change setting
in /etc/molrc] and listen to your music from Linux. In terms of games or
DVDs again they need accelerated graphics to really look good and that is
not on the cards right now.

Q.