Re: ethertap/dummy (for mol) in 2.4.x ?

Subject: Re: ethertap/dummy (for mol) in 2.4.x ?
From: Martin Costabel (costabel@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 07:49:18 MST

This is just a me-too message. I have not found any way to get
mol-0.9.55 networking under linux-2.4.1 and MacOS 9.1.

The only connection I get is from the MOL side to the linux side using
the eth0 or eth0:1 device. I can spare eth0 right now, because I use
airport for the exterior connection. If I use eth0 for the exterior
connection, I can use the alias eth0:1 for MOL. But MOL in no case sees
the outside world. And the only message is of the "IP-filter: x.x.x.x"
type. So it looks as if this ipfilter stuff in MOL isn't working any
more.

Anyway, for me this is moot, I won't touch MOL any more with kernel
2.4.1 and OS 9.1. As others have found, MOL always crashes after a few
minutes, and it takes linux down with it: I can get back into linux, and
it is not always frozen, but all commands give weird error messages like
segmentation fault for "ls", and I cannot shutdown cleanly. As I found
out the hard way, if I don't hard reboot immediately in this situation,
I get severe file system damage with manual fsck upon reboot and
disappearing files or directories transformed into character devices.

--
Martin

R Shapiro wrote: > > =?iso-8859-15?Q?Philippe_Lel=E9dy?= writes: > > > 3. I added a masquerade rule in iptables > > > > > > iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j MASQUERADE > > > > > > > I'd try > > > > iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j MASQUERADE > > as eth0 is not used but dummy0. > > The default route is on eth0, so after routing that's the device it > should be using, no? Assuming the destination isn't on the lan. > Anyway, I already tried giving the device as dummy0, it didn't help. > > Something more basic is going wrong here, since the traffic never > seems to be routed to eth0 at all. The only clue I have are these > lines in /var/log/messages from netfilter: > > IP-filter: 192.168.01.02 > IP-filter: 00.00.00.00 > IP-filter: 192.168.01.02 > > I don't know what this is trying to tell me, except that it's not a > dropped packets (I use a specific LOG message for those). > > -- > reshapiro@mediaone.net