Re: ethertap/dummy (for mol) in 2.4.x ?

Subject: Re: ethertap/dummy (for mol) in 2.4.x ?
From: R Shapiro (reshapiro@mediaone.net)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 10:03:10 MST

Martin Costabel writes:
> This is just a me-too message.

But a useful one :) Since it sounds as if NO ONE has gotten this to
work in 2.4.1, I've concluded that there's no point in banging my head
against this problem by fiddling any further with the local
configuration.

> Anyway, for me this is moot, I won't touch MOL any more with kernel
> 2.4.1 and OS 9.1. As others have found, MOL always crashes after a few
> minutes, and it takes linux down with it

To be honest, I've yet to run it long enough to encounter this. I
don't need MacOS much anyway, but when I do, I always need networking.
For now I live with rebooting to switch between the two OS's.

> segmentation fault for "ls", and I cannot shutdown cleanly. As I found
> out the hard way, if I don't hard reboot immediately in this situation,
> I get severe file system damage with manual fsck upon reboot and
> disappearing files or directories transformed into character devices.

Well, that's pretty serious ... I haven't been following mol-general
very closely lately -- is it now recommended not to run mol at all
with a 2.4.1 kernel?

Anyway, thanks for the followup.

--
reshapiro@mediaone.net