Re: ethertap/dummy (for mol) in 2.4.x ?

Subject: Re: ethertap/dummy (for mol) in 2.4.x ?
From: Martin Costabel (costabel@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 10:53:57 MST

R Shapiro wrote:

> Martin Costabel writes:
[]
> > segmentation fault for "ls", and I cannot shutdown cleanly. As I found
> > out the hard way, if I don't hard reboot immediately in this situation,
> > I get severe file system damage with manual fsck upon reboot and
> > disappearing files or directories transformed into character devices.
>
> Well, that's pretty serious ... I haven't been following mol-general
> very closely lately -- is it now recommended not to run mol at all
> with a 2.4.1 kernel?

Actually, I am not sure if it is really MOL that is to blame for the
file system corruption. I saw some messages on the linux-kernel mailing
list about similar problems with 2.4.1 in linux/intel. The crash of MOL
may just have triggered some other kernel bug. So I hope this is
something that will go away soon. Until then I remain cautious.

--
Martin