RE: Ideas for accelerated video on MOL (generic PCI device proxy)

Subject: RE: Ideas for accelerated video on MOL (generic PCI device proxy)
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (benh@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 08:26:49 MST

>This would all be alot easier using a 'generic PCI device proxy' allowing
>you to
>leverage existing MacOS display acceleration and GL drivers. My main
>interest is
>the viability of that approach.
>
>Although I think I might be happy with just accelerated block move and clear.

The problem with that is how to handle properly the switch to/from MOL
screen ? Once MOL is switched out, how do you prevent MacOS from tapping
your acceleration hardware ? I would rather discuss with ATI to see if
they can provide us with a modified version of their accel driver that
could be used with MOL video NRVR. We would have to add a couple of
control calls to provide ATI driver a mapping to the accel engine
registers along with a way to switch in/out the accel operations.

I'll discuss that with some ATI people I know.

Regards,
Ben.