Re: Ideas for accelerated video on MOL (generic PCI device proxy)

Subject: Re: Ideas for accelerated video on MOL (generic PCI device proxy)
From: Bill Huey (billh@gnuppy.monkey.org)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 16:42:49 MST

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 04:26:49PM +0100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> The problem with that is how to handle properly the switch to/from MOL
> screen ? Once MOL is switched out, how do you prevent MacOS from tapping
> your acceleration hardware ? I would rather discuss with ATI to see if
> could be used with MOL video NRVR. We would have to add a couple of
> control calls to provide ATI driver a mapping to the accel engine
> registers along with a way to switch in/out the accel operations.
>
> I'll discuss that with some ATI people I know.

Most modern graphics hardware that I know of have the ability to rasterize
into an offscreen buffer on the card itself so issues like this won't
matter that much if you just contextualize all drawing.

This is all pretty doable for the most part, but the internals of various
QuickDraw versions might be the technical killer at this point along with
the fact that you might have to hack some proprietary OpenGL libraries
(NVidia namely, but the driver source is mostly public).

> they can provide us with a modified version of their accel driver that
>
> Regards,
> Ben.

bill