VNC and authentication in MOL

Subject: VNC and authentication in MOL
From: Rich Lafferty (rich@alcor.concordia.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 17:05:20 MST

So I realized something neat today.

I had a problem with the way I used MOL before. If you want to get to
MacOS via MOL in X, you have to make sure you don't exit your X
session with MacOS running, because it doesn't *like*
that. Right. That makes sense. But I tend to go "Yay! Day's over!" and
logout, then go "Whoops!" and try like mad to get to shutdown before X
stops.

So I was playing with MOL in VNC-mode, and that's just *so handy*,
since I can leave MacOS running, and just have it take up screen
real-estate when I want it. Handy too because I can log out and still
have the Mac side's appleshare going, and so forth.

But then I notice when I'm connecting: "No authentication required".

And I think to myself, "THat can't be right."

But, no, it appears that it really *doesn't* require authentication.

And I think to myself, "That isn't right!", not meaning "correct"
anymore.

Now, MOL's one heck of a piece of software, and it continues to amaze
me, and so forth, and I'm staring at it trying to figure out what
really obvious thing I'm missing, and I don't think I'm missing
anything.

So, erm, *why* no authentication? :-/ Is it just a case of "It hasn't
been done", or was there a good "It can't be done" reason? I wasn't
able to find anything in the list archives.

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services