RE: VNC and authentication in MOL

Subject: RE: VNC and authentication in MOL
From: Michael Clark (michael@metaparadigm.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 07:42:42 MST

> I had a problem with the way I used MOL before. If you want to get to
> MacOS via MOL in X, you have to make sure you don't exit your X
> session with MacOS running, because it doesn't *like*
> that. Right. That makes sense. But I tend to go "Yay! Day's over!" and
> logout, then go "Whoops!" and try like mad to get to shutdown before X
> stops.

I've written a litte background application that runs under MacOS and allows me
to issue a shutdown from Linux using a simple UDP protocol (it can also be
requested to map appleshare volumes). It would be easy to change the MOL SIGTERM
handler to issue a clean shutdown (and to bail out after a timeout if MacOS
couldn't shut down nicely). Let me know if you'd find this useful and I can
provide a patch and a copy of the daemon.

~mc