Still having problems with MOL on a G4

Subject: Still having problems with MOL on a G4
From: Kevin Bradley (kevinmbradley@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 12:56:46 MST

I am still having the same trouble trying to get MOL installed on a G4 machine with the apple 22" cinema display, and I desperately need help to get past this stage.

I was able to get past the point where the kernel was patched, but when I try to run it in console mode, I only get a black screen. I have tried using the X-terminal, and when I do that the linux terminal that I call it from says its trying to run but then seems to go into an infinite loop printing:

    "Replacing Old Translation (EA 00100000, Old-Phys 00100000)"

A MOL window appears that is solid white, and if I mouse-over that window my entire screen turns black and white (?).

I am running kernel 2.2.18 (SUSE), and have tried the original ROM and also ROM 1.6. I have used molvconfig to find the proper video settings. None of the pre-programmed settings worked, but it was able to probe the settings for a valid configuration. I also placed those settings into 'fb.modes' so I could test them with molvconfig, and it does work with these settings. However, I still can get nothing but a black screen.

Any help would be appreciate!

Kevin