Re: Problems on the install...

Subject: Re: Problems on the install...
From: Derek Homeier (supas100@astrophysik.uni-kiel.de)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 13:44:41 MST

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Chris Ivanovich wrote:

> I'm fairly new to Linux, and am trying to install MOL on my PowerBook
> G3 running Debian 2.2.
>
> I've managed to download the rpm into /usr and read the couple of
> pages of docs provided on the web site. I checked out the man page
> for rpm, and I finally issued the command as given in the doc. And
> here's what happened:
>
> yeti:~# rpm -i /usr/mol-0.9.53-2.ppc.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:

Your problem simply is Debian not using the RPM system, thus rpm does
not know what is installed on your system. I think there is an option
to initialize the rpm database, but I believe the clean solution is to
convert the mol rpm to a .deb package, using the alien tool, iirc:

alien --to-deb mol-0.9.53-2.ppc.rpm

and then install the deb the usual way (btw, I'd rather not put stuff
directly into /usr. On a Redhat system, ppc.rpms go into
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/ppc/, but you could as well put it into some download
dir).
If you've more trouble with importing rpm format files, you probably
better ask on the debian-powerpc list, I don't have that much Debian
experience yet.

Good Luck,
                                                        Derek