Re: linux language

Subject: Re: linux language
From: Daniel Folha (dfmf@astro.up.pt)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 15:28:19 MST

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, StrahlenInstitut wrote:

> hi,
>
> i'm new to linux. after one night and one day linuxPPC installation i was
> finally happy to boot my mac with linux, but the problem is that the system
> talks chinese, and i can't read chinese... can anyone tell me how can i
> switch the language between all this chinese buttons??? ...please
> help...!!!!!!

        Hi!

        What you refer to as Chinese is most probably Japonese!

        Did you install every package in the installation CD? If you did
then you also installed the *ja* files in the language folder (or
international folder) and especially the locale-data-ja file. It seems
like this is the source of your problem. One solution is to re-install
everything but those *ja* files. Do format your linux partion before
re-installing so that you have a clean install. Do have a look at
http://www.georet.net/linux/NewWorldNet-install.html. What I referred to
above is mentioned in point 8 of that web page.

        Maybe there is an easier solution to your problem: like finding
the *ja* guilty files somewhere on your disk, delete them (?!) and reboot
the system. I wonder if that works! Anyone?

        Daniel

P.S. It might be worthwhile having a look at other pages in
http://www.georet.net/linux/G4-install.html. E.g. if you want to configure
ethernet.