Re: kernel patches failing under pismo / debian / 2.2.18pre21

Subject: Re: kernel patches failing under pismo / debian / 2.2.18pre21
From: Stefan Jeglinski (jeglin@4pi.com)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2001 - 07:10:26 MST

>I tried going into /boot and running "startmol System.map-2.2.18pre21",
>and I get the same thing. Also in /boot, I tried "startmol
>vmlinux-2.2.18pre21", same thing. I tried mounting the HFS partition that
>I boot from (with yaboot), and going in there and doing "startmol vmlinux"
>-- this didn't seem likely, but i figured i may as well try it, but still
>nothing...

/boot is not normally in one's PATH, so you might have to do
something like "startmol ./System.map-2.2.18pre21" from the /boot
folder, but...

What I do when this has happened, is go into /boot and make sure a
symbolic link exists, in your case System.map ->
System.map-2.2.18pre21. Of course, make sure System.map-2.2.18pre21
is in /boot as well.

Most consider this standard practice, and is a good way to be sure
that you have the right System.map for things like backtraces as well
as mol booting. W.r.t. mol, this solution has worked 100% of the time
for me.

I don't know debian at all, but I assume at least this part works like Redhat.

Stefan Jeglinski