Re: Solution, at least for me (was: MOL networking broken on recent kernels?)

Subject: Re: Solution, at least for me (was: MOL networking broken on recent kernels?)
From: Scott Hankin (sdhankin@ma.ultranet.com)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 01:09:57 MST

>Hi,
>
>Scott Hankin writes:
>
>> Scanning the list has lead me to confirm what I've discovered on my
>> own; that 2.4.0 doesn't work with MOL networking. I've tried to set
>> this up using methods that worked in the past, but to no avail. Has
>> anyone else succeeded where I have failed?
>
>Well, my problem is solved now. It turned out to be very simple: I
>built and installed glibc 2.2.1 against the new kernel, then rebuilt
>and reinstalled MOL against the new glibc. After that, I simply
>configured a dummy device:
>
> ifconfig dummy0 inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.0.0 arp broadcast
>192.168.0.0
>
>enabled masquerading:
>
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE
>
>and put:
>
> netdev: dummy0 -sheep
>
>into /etc/molrc. There I was.
>
>Thanks to everybody who replied. And special thanks to Martin
>Constabel for also pointing out a typo in my .sig.
>
>Regards, Jens.

Amazing, Jens - you describe exactly what I did! I works like a
champ. The iptables command is so simple that I was wondering if
there was something else I should be doing! Thanks to all who
replied.

--

- Scott

----------------------------- Scott Hankin In the beginning, there was nothing, then Rational Software God said, "Let there be light." And there 20 Maguire Road was light. There was still nothing, but Lexington, MA 02421 you could see it a lot better.