Re: Re[2]: dual head with powerbook pismo

Subject: Re: Re[2]: dual head with powerbook pismo
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (benh@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 11:42:57 MST

>> I don't know about unix or mol, but I know for a fact that you can use
>> a monitor and the lcd on a laptop under normal mac-os. (I saw it
>> with
>> mac OS 8, but I'm pretty sure it works with 7 and up.)
>
>What are you talking in terms of? Do you mean dual output (as in, same
desktop
>that's on the LCD panel mirrored to the CRT) or actual dual head (separate
>desktops, or separate sections of one large desktop)? I can see the
>former, but
>the latter I doubt.

The Rage M3 used in the Pismo has 2 heads (2 CRTC controllers) and is
capable of displaying 2 different images.

That's also the case of some of the older mach64 Rage LT Pro chips used
on Lombard & wallstreet II. The chip used in the first wallstreet (Rage
LT) can use only one CRTC but can mirror on the external output.

The Linux drivers for these chips cannot use these features (yet).

ben.