Re: MOL on Umax c600

Subject: Re: MOL on Umax c600
From: Quentin Mason (quentin-mason@cornell.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 16:07:25 MST

Hi Jackson,

I think that it is possible that you do not quite understand how MOL
works: MacOS runs and is told that it has a certain type of processor,
and has access to some RAM, which linux handles for it. ALL the requests
for disk accesses, cd access, serial access, ethernet access, (tape,
firewire, usb printers etc) are passed TO LINUX which figures out the
answer and sends it back to MacOS in the way that it wants the data. Thus
if linux does not do something MOL will *NOT* be able to do it (see items
in brackets above). Particularly MOL will not see the G3 upgrade unless
linux does.

It is possible that % cat /proc/cpuinfo will tell you something about your
CPU, and might include the L2 cache -- this will tell you whether the
thing is working or no. It is also important to remember that the speed
of a _machine_ is measured roughly in terms of how fast it does real
calculations, and NOT how fast the screen draws, which is a measure of the
speed of the CPU-graphics card datawidth, and speed of the graphics
card. It is possible that you are confusing a "dog slow" machine with a
reasonable machine with very poor graphics card, or no graphics
acceleration enabled on the card. Do you use Xpmac or Xfree 3.3.6 or
4.0.2? Do you have graphics acceleration in linux ? what kernel arguments
do you specify etc?

I cannot help you with a quest for a prebuilt kernel for a 603e machine,
but I am pretty sure that MOL requires MacOS 8.6 ROM and MacOS 8.6 and
cannot use 8.5.*. The upgrade a is free ~30mb download from apple, the
link used to appear on the MOL site. In terms of kernel source, look at
the linuxppc-user list, archived at http://lists.linuxppc.org for various
places to get a kernel. Search on "kernel;rsync", most people rsync
their's.

In terms of your upgrade card I believe that there are people who have
used it successfully on linux, see again the archived list above. I
understand that certain versions of BootX do not work well with the older
machines, and that some people have changed the order of their extensions
booting in order to get the Sonnet Extension to load before BootX, and
this has worked for them.

Do not give up hope -- I do not believe that MOL will be the answer to
your speed problems, but I am pretty sure that the link above will help
you out.

HTH,

Q.