Re: MOL on Umax c600

Subject: Re: MOL on Umax c600
From: Vinai (vroopcha@post.its.mcw.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 16:25:00 MST

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Quentin Mason wrote:

}I cannot help you with a quest for a prebuilt kernel for a 603e machine,
}but I am pretty sure that MOL requires MacOS 8.6 ROM and MacOS 8.6 and
}cannot use 8.5.*. The upgrade a is free ~30mb download from apple, the
}link used to appear on the MOL site.

I am not so sure about this. I am running mol-0.9.53 on my 8500 and I
use an Old World ROM / booting setup as I only have MacOS 7.5.5 on this
machine. If you want to use older versions of MacOS, you would need a
ROM from one of these machines (1st generation PCI powermacs). But with
New World booting, I am not sure the version makes a difference, once it
is a stripped New World ROM from an installation CD.

I would recommend tackling one problem at a time - like getting your G3
upgrade recognized and running properly, then seeing about getting MOL
up and running. I've fallen into the same trap of trying to fix many
problems at once, and almost pulling my hair out (what little I have :)

cheers
vinai