Re: MOL on Umax c600

Subject: Re: MOL on Umax c600
From: Quentin Mason (quentin-mason@cornell.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 16:47:53 MST

Vinai,

> }I cannot help you with a quest for a prebuilt kernel for a 603e machine,
> }but I am pretty sure that MOL requires MacOS 8.6 ROM and MacOS 8.6 and
> }cannot use 8.5.*. The upgrade a is free ~30mb download from apple, the
> }link used to appear on the MOL site.
>
> I am not so sure about this. I am running mol-0.9.53 on my 8500 and I
> use an Old World ROM / booting setup as I only have MacOS 7.5.5 on this
> machine. If you want to use older versions of MacOS, you would need a
> ROM from one of these machines (1st generation PCI powermacs). But with
> New World booting, I am not sure the version makes a difference, once it
> is a stripped New World ROM from an installation CD.

from the front page: http://www.maconlinux.com

Feature List
    Boots MacOS 7.5.2 to 9.0.4 using a ROM image.
    Boots MacOS 8.6 and later using a NewWorld ROM (the "Mac OS ROM" file).
    This also works on pre-G3 machines!

in reference to Jackson's post:
> Finally, if I grab the rom image off my OS 8.5 cd as described in the
> instructions, download and place a precompiled kernel to my Linux ...

ie use the MacOS ROM file from the CD.

Therefore, to summarise:

TRUE: you can use a MacOS ROM on an old-world machine.
FALSE: you can use 8.5 MacOS ROM (ie must use 8.6)
TRUE: ROM version does make a difference.
TRUE: you can get free upgrade to 8.6, and use that ROM.
TRUE: you can _make_ a ROM "image" from a running older system with the
      Rom-grabber utility available from maconlinux.net/download.html
      As I understand it this is perhaps more difficult for the newbie --
      and there may well be issues with the Sonnet card as I believe one
      does it with extensions off.

So I must differ from Vinai on this point.
Mr. Jackson will need to either make a ROM using that utility or much
easier upgrade to 8.6.

However, on the original point I heartily agree - fix the L2 cache problem
/ slow graphics and then think about MOL + 8.6

Q.