Some MOL network & time annoyances

Subject: Some MOL network & time annoyances
From: Tom Greene (tgreene@arc.nasa.gov)
Date: Sun Jan 28 2001 - 22:06:28 MST

I'm having some minor problems with mol that I'd appreciate some
help with.

1. I can't get MOL to work quite right when I start it as a non-root
user. I've tried it 2 ways: a) loading the sheep_net and mol modules
then running startmol; b) turning on the suid bit on /usr/bin/startmol
and then running it. Both ways result in the same problem: the MacOS
(sys 8.6) boots fine and all is hunly dory, except the networking
doesn't work. I can't ping my Linux host via the ethertap device I set
up, much less get out to the net via IP masquerading. All of that works
fine if I startmol as root. The MOL console output is identical if I
start as root or a non-root user.

Some info: MOL 0.9.53, kernel module 1.1.53, Mac OS 8.6 and YDL 1.2
on a Lombard (1999) PowerBook. Both the mol and sheep_net modules were
compiled for a 2.2.18 kernel but I'm using 2.2.17.

2. The AppleShare over IP networking over the ethertap interface is
flakey. It often hangs for ~2 minutes and then crashes when I try to
access files on the host Linux filesystem, and I have to log in via the
chooser or network browser again. I don't have to restart the Linux afpd
daemon. Does anybody else have this problem, and how have they dealt with
it?

3. The MacOS clock in MOL is always 1 hour faster than the Linux clock;
syncing with a time server works only until the next boot. What should
I do to fix this?

 Thanks in advance for any thoughtful replies.

-Tom