AppleTalk/EtherTalk in MOL - what works

Subject: AppleTalk/EtherTalk in MOL - what works
From: Brice D Ruth (brice@webprojkt.com)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 16:01:26 MDT

I've been using MOL for quite a while now, happily plugging along using
ethertap networking. I have a particular Photoshop plugin that exports
directly to my printer that I'd like to use (it prints more efficiently
and with more appropriate options). Unfortunately, the only way it can
pick up the printer is via AppleTalk ... and that doesn't work via
ethertap (though interestingly enough, its actually specifically
mentioned as working in the ethertap documentation ... how's that?)

So - my question to you MOL gurus out there - what's the best way to get
AppleTalk networking in MOL? I've tried the sheep_net driver, but that
seems to do some weird stuff ... it appears to get an IP address from my
DHCP server (elsewhere on the network) and it can see the Linux side of
my iMac via the chooser, but not the x86 box I have set up with netatalk
elsewhere on the network ... and trying to input the IP address of the
other box doesn't seem to work. I wasn't able to find squat as far as
documentation for using the sheep_net driver, so I wouldn't be too
surprised if I'm missing something!

Any help would be (as always) appreciated.

Regards,
Brice Ruth