Re: AppleTalk/EtherTalk in MOL - what works

Subject: Re: AppleTalk/EtherTalk in MOL - what works
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 16:41:25 MDT

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 05:01:26PM -0500, Brice D Ruth wrote:
> I've been using MOL for quite a while now, happily plugging along using
> ethertap networking. I have a particular Photoshop plugin that exports
> directly to my printer that I'd like to use (it prints more efficiently
> and with more appropriate options). Unfortunately, the only way it can
> pick up the printer is via AppleTalk ... and that doesn't work via
> ethertap (though interestingly enough, its actually specifically
> mentioned as working in the ethertap documentation ... how's that?)

To run AppleTalk on a tap device, you need to recompile the kernel/tap
module with the line

#define CONFIG_ETHERTAP_MC

added to the linux/drivers/net/ethertap.c file. This will add
multicast support to the tap interface which is needed by
AppleTalk. You must also configure atalkd to route between
tap0 and eth0 (tap0 will show up as a separate zone in your
network).

A simpler solution is configuring two network devices
in MOL, something like:

        netdev: tap0
        netdev: eth0 -sheep

MacOS should be configured to use the first ethernet
device for IP and the second one for AppleTalk.

Regards,

/Samuel

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470