Re: Booting OS X within MoL?

Subject: Re: Booting OS X within MoL?
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 18:49:42 MDT

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 02:36:27PM -0600, Derrik Pates wrote:
> Will it ever happen again? The current rsync tree will try if given the
> 'newworld' boot option, but then it tells me that
> "System/CoreServices/.../BootX is not a valid ELF image".

I think I'll have to fix this the search algorithm such that
it ignores the BootX file. It might cause problem if OS X
and MacOS is installed on the same partition.

A workaround for this problem is adding something like

macos_rompath: 'System Folder/Mac OS ROM'

to /etc/molrc. Explicit paths are tried before a full
search is tried.

>If I try setting the boot mode to 'macosx', then it says something
>about a missing resource (iirc?) and just quits. (I'd go get the
>exact messages, but right now I'm wrestling with trying to get
>classic MacOS to be bootable again.)

Yes... the OS X drivers are not bundled with MOL (since they
are not nearly finished yet) and the molrc file needs special
modifications.

I'll resume the work to boot OS X inside MOL eventually.
I've got to the system up to the point where the login
box normally appears. The priority, however, is putting
together a 1.0 release (polishing a some rough corners).

/Samuel

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470