Re: 2.4.6-pre8 works, but...

Subject: Re: 2.4.6-pre8 works, but...
From: Derrik Pates (dpates@dsdk12.net)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 21:28:08 MDT

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, g3|randy wrote:

> 1. F12 doesn't do anything. Either in console or in X.

That's because, if you note the startup messages, it says something to the
effect of "Suspend is currently not enabled". Apparently some things
changed architecture-wise that required some reworking of the Suspend
functionality, and Samuel just hasn't gotten to fixing that yet. (Doesn't
hurt my feelings - I never could get suspending a session to disk working
right anyhow. Always got stuck in a loop after unsuspending when I tried
actually starting a program in the restored session.)

> 2. My ethernet connection doesn't work. I am on a small (and I mean
> tiny) LAN in my apt and eth0 is configured (and working) in Linux, but
> it doesn't pass it through to MOL.

You need to edit /etc/molrc, and find the 'netdev:' line. I recommend,
unless you're in a situation where you can't spare a static IP, to just
use your ethernet device with the '-sheep' option, to use the SheepShaver
bridge interface. You'll have to load the 'sheep_net.o' module (from
/usr/lib/mol/modules) before starting MoL to make it work, and you will
not be able to do dynamic address assignment via DHCP or BOOTP. (Probably
not RARP either, but I haven't tried that.) The address does have to be
unique, just like if you were using a separate box. It can also take
advantage of printers or file shares via EtherTalk.

There's also a way that you're supposed to be able to use a tun/tap
device, but I have no experience with that.

Derrik Pates | Sysadmin, Douglas School | #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net | District (dsdk12.net) | #linuxOS on OPN