Re: 2.4.6-pre8 works, but...

Subject: Re: 2.4.6-pre8 works, but...
From: g3|randy (g3linux@mac.com)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 22:41:50 MDT

> On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, g3|randy wrote:
>
>> 1. F12 doesn't do anything. Either in console or in X.
>
> That's because, if you note the startup messages, it says something
to the
> effect of "Suspend is currently not enabled". Apparently some things
> changed architecture-wise that required some reworking of the Suspend
> functionality, and Samuel just hasn't gotten to fixing that yet.
(Doesn't
> hurt my feelings - I never could get suspending a session to disk
working
> right anyhow. Always got stuck in a loop after unsuspending when I
tried
> actually starting a program in the restored session.)
>
>> 2. My ethernet connection doesn't work. I am on a small (and I mean
>> tiny) LAN in my apt and eth0 is configured (and working) in Linux,
but
>> it doesn't pass it through to MOL.
>
> You need to edit /etc/molrc, and find the 'netdev:' line. I
recommend,
> unless you're in a situation where you can't spare a static IP, to
just
> use your ethernet device with the '-sheep' option, to use the
SheepShaver
> bridge interface. You'll have to load the 'sheep_net.o' module (from
> /usr/lib/mol/modules) before starting MoL to make it work, and you
will
> not be able to do dynamic address assignment via DHCP or BOOTP.
(Probably
> not RARP either, but I haven't tried that.) The address does have to
be
> unique, just like if you were using a separate box. It can also take
> advantage of printers or file shares via EtherTalk.
>
> There's also a way that you're supposed to be able to use a tun/tap
> device, but I have no experience with that.
>
> Derrik Pates | Sysadmin, Douglas School | #linuxOS on
EFnet
> dpates@dsdk12.net | District (dsdk12.net) | #linuxOS on OPN

hmmm, thanks for the info. the session thing doesn't bother me much I
guess. Especially now since you say it doesn't work as expected.

Have to try the ethernet thing. I guess I could set up a 'Location' in
MAC OS for MOL so that it uses a different name and IP...I am just
using the generic IP (ie: 192.168.1.0)...hmmm.

Thanks
g3 | randy
g3linux at mac dot com