Re: Problems w/ memory?

Subject: Re: Problems w/ memory?
From: Brice D Ruth (brice@webprojkt.com)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 10:04:52 MDT

Here's from a previous email from Sam:

>> I've pushed the big-RAM fix. The new limit is 1-1.5 GB RAM
>> (although I've only tested running MOL with 340 MB).

>> /Samuel

I pulled back my RAM to 448MB just a little bit ago and I still crashed
- however, I think I got more insight into the crash - that is, it
doesn't entirely 'lock up' - it just gets incredibly slow - as in, it
takes minutes to respond to a mouse movement. This happened once and
then after a bit, it came back (I was very patient) - then it happened
again a few minutes later and my patience wore out after a few minutes.

Either MOL isn't handling the memory well or the kernel isn't. One last
option is that my iMac DV doesn't like the memory. I ordered the memory
from what I would consider a reputable place and the memory I ordered
was for my particular model - when I received it, however, it had a
little sticker saying it was PC133 - while my iMac only does PC100.
 When I booted natively into MacOS, however, the Apple System Profiler
reported that it saw the memory as PC100, so I figured that the RAM was
OK - even if it was PC133.

Any further clues? I'm ssh'd into my box now w/ top running - so maybe
next time this happens I can see what process is eating up the CPU, if any.

-Brice