Re: Using airport- doesn't anyone know?

Subject: Re: Using airport- doesn't anyone know?
From: Derrik Pates (dpates@dsdk12.net)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 13:34:21 MDT

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, William K. Gibson wrote:

> I am using airport on the Linux side on Eth1. When I told my molrc file to
> use Eth1, it worked, but it was extreeemly slow. It is not slow on the Linux
> side, so I am really confused. What would cause this problem?

You'll probably be better off using a dummy or tun/tap interface for MoL,
and masqing out to the real world. The problem with the AirPort cards
(which is also a problem with the Lucent 802.11s, because it's
effectively the same card) is that it only responds to packets for the MAC
it knows. Since 802.11 expects ACKs to frames sent out over the air,
unlike physical Ethernet (send-and-forget), you'd have to be able to put
the AirPort card into BSS (base-station) mode to get that to work. (Also
why you need either an access point or special support to do bridging.)

> Is there some kind of sheep net stuff I need to modify to get this to work
> right? Am I the only MOL user that has gotten Airport to work from the Linux
> side?

I wouldn't be surprised if no one's gotten it to work. It's a limitation
of the 802.11 protocol more than anything (and partly of the drivers -
Lucent won't provide the info on how to put their cards into BSS mode
without a lot of green forked over first).

Derrik Pates | Sysadmin, Douglas School| _ #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net | District (dsdk12.net) | | | and now OPN too!
   Student @ South Dakota School of Mines | __| |___ _ _ _ ___ _ _
       & Technology (www.sdsmt.edu) |/ _ / -_) ' \ '\/ _ \ ' \
UNIX: Because you want to USE your computer.|\___,\___|_||_||_\___/_||_|