Re: ELF ?

Subject: Re: ELF ?
From: Derrik Pates (dpates@dsdk12.net)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 00:43:58 MDT

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, David C. Hacker, DVM wrote:

> I tried to use the newworld rom v1.2.1 that was on my hard drive from the 8.5
> install and it wouldn't work. I finally downloaded the 1.6 rom from apple
> and used the util on MOL site to unpack it and it worked no problem Why
> won't the installed rom work?

Well, exactly how are you retrieving it from your MacOS partition? Are you
using the HFS or HFS+ command-line tools? Mounting it (if it's straight
HFS)? Copying to floppy in standalone MacOS, then mounting floppy and
copying ROM image from there? If you're using hfsutils or hfs+utils from
the Linux command line, the default action of 'hcopy' or 'hpcopy' is to
copy the file out into (I believe) MacBinaryII format, to avoid losing the
resource fork and metadata (like type/creator ID, etc). You have to pass a
particular option (-r maybe?) to copy _raw_. Check the docs for the right
option.

Derrik Pates | Sysadmin, Douglas School| _ #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net | District (dsdk12.net) | | | and now OPN too!
   Student @ South Dakota School of Mines | __| |___ _ _ _ ___ _ _
       & Technology (www.sdsmt.edu) |/ _ / -_) ' \ '\/ _ \ ' \
UNIX: Because you want to USE your computer.|\___,\___|_||_||_\___/_||_|