Re: 603 support (implemented but untested)

Subject: Re: 603 support (implemented but untested)
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@waltari.theophys.kth.se)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 03:25:46 MDT

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 11:07:16PM -0400, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
> >The MOL developer tree now contains 603 support. This
> >code is however still completely untested. Instructions
> >for those who have 603 processors and would like to test it:
> >
> >Rsync the developer tree:
> >
> > rsync -vcaz zorn.theophys.kth.se::mol mol-rsync
> >
> >Compile, install and start mol.
>
> I've never rsynced a mol tree before, so I'm not sure I did
> everything right (in the past I just ftped source and built). I
> rsynced as directed above. Did make with no errors. Did make install
> and it suggested I do make libimport, which I also did, no errors.
> make install then appeared to run OK. So AFAIK, I did this all OK.
Yes.

>Noted that processor type was commented out, but since G3 is
> default and recommend in the file is to run as G3, I left as is. As
> root, I did startmol --loadonly, and then as a user, did startmol.
Fine - the 'processor' field should not be touched.

> Um, there isn't a kernel patch any more is there, I thought that was
> the point of the new 603 mol support? I SURE hope I'm not looking
> stupid here....
Nope.

> Anyway, here's what I get:
>
> [jeglin@linux-6500 jeglin]$ startmol
> Mac-on-Linux 0.9.59 <www.maconlinux.org>
> (C) 1997-2001 Samuel Rydh <samuel@ibrium.se>
>
> Version 0.9.59
> Configuration file: /etc/molrc
> Library directory: /usr/lib/mol
> Session 0. Lockfile '/var/lock/mol-0'
> The session save/restore feature is disabled
> OF device tree: oftrees/oftree.nw
> DEC frequency: 12 MHz, 125:10 mticks/usec
> map_zero: mmap: Cannot allocate memory
> Failed to map RAM. Probably an of memory condition.
> cleaning up...
> Terminating threads...
> DONE
>
> This is on a 6500/300 (603e) with a home-built kfukui 2.4.5pre1
> kernel, 96Meg RAM. I'll go try the debugger as suggested and get back
> to you.

This *is* an out of memory condition - it has nothing to do
with the 603 support. Reduce the amount of RAM mol uses
(or switch to runlevel 3 and try running MOL in the console
- kde and gnome does use up a lot of memory nowdays).

You can also extend the swap with a swap-file (as root):

        dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1024 count=65536
        /sbin/mkswap swapfile
        /sbin/swapon swapfile

Good Luck,

/Samuel