Re: Current MoL rsync does not build against benh's 2.4.6-pre3

Subject: Re: Current MoL rsync does not build against benh's 2.4.6-pre3
From: Michael Blakeley (mike@blakeley.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 08:46:55 MDT

At 3:32 PM -0700 6/25/01, Michael Blakeley wrote:
>Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
>
>>Derrik Pates <dpates@dsdk12.net> wrote:
>> >I discovered this today, after building benh's latest tree. Apparently the
>> >SEGREG data type and the MUNGE_CONTEXT macro have been removed, causing
>>>the kernel module (particularly mmu.c) to be uncompilable. I am trying to
>>>just copy the necessary definitions out of asm-ppc/mmu.h and
>>>asm-ppc/mmu_context.h to get the kernel module to build, but I'm not sure
>>>that this will work. I will test and see.
>>
>>Just FYI, beware with my lastest tree, trying to use airport with it will
>>lockup the box. I'm trying to figure out what's going on.
>
>Ben's 2.4.6 no longer locks up the airport, but mol-rsync still
>stops with the missing SEGREG and MUNGE_CONTEXT errors. Copying them
>from an older kernel just drops me into xmon when I try to run
>startmol.
>
>Anyone know what the SEGREG and MUNGE_CONTEXT were all about, and
>why they disappeared?

SEGREG and MUNGE_CONTEXT are still present in the bitkeeper
linuxppc_2_4 tree, so I just built a kernel from it instead.
Recompiling MOL from rsync worked fine, and I'm posting this message
via Eudora on MOL.

briefly, cd to somewhere convenient and do:

bk clone bk://powerpc.bitkeeper.com:5000 linuxppc_2_4
cd linuxppc_2_4
bk -r get
(then copy in your favorite .config, make oldconfig, etc.)

The bk instructions never seem to mention the 'bk -r get' step, but
I've always had to do it for my first try at any repository. After
that you should be able to get incremental updates with
        bk pull

Naturally, you'll also need bk from <http://www.bitkeeper.com/>. Or I
think you can rsync the same data:
        rsync source.mvista.com::linuxppc_2_4

I hope that helps others who were caught by the disappearing SEGREG.

-- Mike