Re: Full screen capable?

Subject: Re: Full screen capable?
From: Hans E. Kristiansen (hans@enterpriseasia.com.hk)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 20:50:24 MDT

Re: Full screen capable?After some research and not found very much information, I am posting my q. to this list.

First some background:

I am an avid Linux fanatic, who unfortunately really need to use Microsoft Office in the course of business. My current system is a pc-laptop, dual boot with windows 2K and Linux, and I reboot where necessary to work on msoffice documents. There are a number of solutions which allows windows on top of Linux, but these are very slow ( emulated ), and they are not very reliable.

I have been following the development of OSX for some time, and it seemed to me as the ideal solution to my problem, as long as Microsoft releases a version of Office for this OS in the near future. This is a killer combination for a geek like me, unix and MS office simultaneously.

In the meantime, I also noted the MOL, which would also solve my problem. Just by purchasing a PowerBook G4, with linuxPPC and install MOL, I would be able to use office under OS9. But, I have one import requirement: It needs to be reliable. I normally author long documents with embedded graphics and figures and that last thing I need is a crash. I would also be interested in performance figures, compared with a native OS9 as opposed to a LinuxPPC / OS9. Lastly, is the linuxPPC distribution reliable? Even on my Toshiba portege laptop, the system *never* hangs, well, unless I am not trying something exotic, that is.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thx,
Hans E.