Re: Full screen capable?

Subject: Re: Full screen capable?
From: Quentin Mason (quentin-mason@cornell.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 08:06:41 MDT

> I am an avid Linux fanatic, who unfortunately really need to use
> Microsoft Office in the course of business. My current system is a
> pc-laptop, dual boot with windows 2K and Linux, and I reboot where
> necessary to work on msoffice documents. There are a number of
> solutions which allows windows on top of Linux, but these are very
> slow ( emulated ), and they are not very reliable.

Buy vmware to run windows inside linux on intel's. It is not emulated -- a
runtime environment like MOL and WINE (which is crap).

> MOL, I would be able to use office under OS9. But, I have one import
> requirement: It needs to be reliable. I normally author long documents
> with embedded graphics and figures and that last thing I need is a
> crash.

You might be interested in the save-restore feature which essentially
saves the MacOS in MOL into a large file, and can reawake from it in ~3s.

> I would also be interested in performance figures, compared
> with a native OS9 as opposed to a LinuxPPC / OS9. Lastly, is the
> linuxPPC distribution reliable? Even on my Toshiba portege laptop, the
> system *never* hangs, well, unless I am not trying something exotic,
> that is.

In my experience yes, MOL is even slightly faster for some things!
However I have an older Wallstreet Mac, not a new titanium job, so I
cannot comment on ease of installation + setup on them. Mandrake are
bringin out a brand spanking new distro but from what I can tell there are
a lot of titanium people having install issues. Mine does not crash even
when I thrashed it to 160Mb(ram)+512Mb(swap)-1Mb free by mistake! It once
crashed when I tried it on a broken floppy disk though. Sleep power
consumption is not as good as MacOS either.

The thing with MOL is that the video is not hardware accelerated as
much as MacOS (if at all)... and graphics performance benchmarks are a lot
smaller for MOL than native.

HTH,

Q.