Re: (Revisiting) Using airport- doesn't anyone know?

Subject: Re: (Revisiting) Using airport- doesn't anyone know?
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 09:38:44 MDT

on 6/26/01 5:11 PM, Brice D Ruth at brice@webprojkt.com wrote:

So, is your AirPort connected directly to your cable modem? If so, I think
there may be some things wrong with your setup -

1) If your client computers (wireless) are not using DHCP, then you
shouldn't be distributing IP adresses via DHCP

I have check the "Distribute IP Addresses" box in the Network section in
order to trick Airport into acting as a router for the network. If I don't
do this, then the Base Station won't route or masquerade. Then I select the
"Share a single IP Address" radio button so that it will work with manually
configured IP addresses. Not only that, but I must fill in the "Share a
range of IP Addresses" with the same numbers as the manual Network I am
using (yes, even though I don't choose it). Otherwise the router address of
the Base Station comes out wrong and my network clients refuse to connect. I
also check the "Ethernet client computers also share a single IP adddress
(using NAT)" box so that ethernet clients can use the Base Station as a
router.

I do not check the "Enable DHCP Server on Ethernet" either. This would try
to give DHCP addresses to any connected clients. The problem with
distributing through DHCP, is that it confuses the cable modem, which also
works through DHCP. Or maybe it confuses the Base Station, anyway, it just
plain doesn't work.

2) Ethernet to AirPort bridging is also probably not what you're looking for
- this is only useful if the network on either side of the AirPort is
identical. If it isn't (e.g. cable modem = Internet on one side; wireless =
private network on the other side) then you don't want to bridge.

Ok, I did not know that. I went ahead and unchecked this and everything
still worked fine. Unfortunately it did not fix the speed problem.

Also - try disabling WEP and see if that miraculously does something for
you. What you described is exactly what I did to setup WEP (following all
the directions I could find), but no dice in the end.

Disabled WEP and it did no good on the speed issue. I don't understand why
you cannot use it though.

And don't worry - you're not taking up too much of my time :) I enjoy
solving network problems, I'm a network engineer at heart, though a software
engineer by profession (makes more money :)).

Ok, you asked for it :-) Anyway, I can't help but begin to believe that it
is an issue with my kernel. I compiled the benh kernel, and I think maybe
some of the configuration settings may be the issue. For example, I compiled
with legacy ipchains options, but I'm not using ipchains anymore, so maybe
that is part of the problem, etc. etc. Or perhaps it has to do with my MOL
build which I compiled against my kernel?

Hmmm, alternatively it may be the ACK problem somebody mentioned earlier.
Using the base station as a router may be the ultimate issue here. I did
test mail from the Linux side though using Balsa, and it seems fine.

--William K. Gibson
1stDesk Systems
firstdesk@columbus.rr.com