Newbie: Runtime Patch Failures

Subject: Newbie: Runtime Patch Failures
From: Richard Petty (techie@austin.rr.com)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 12:05:43 MST

After a six month hiatus, I've decided to give MOL a shot again.

I'm running YDL 1.2.1, stock kernel, on a Lombard PowerBook with plenty of
RAM and HD space.

I got the copy of MOL that I'm trying to use from the LinuxPPC site. It is
the most current version that I found that there does not require
"libncurses.so.5", which I do not have.

Here's what I'm seeing:

  [root@powerbook repetty]# startmol
  Mac-on-Linux 0.9.54, (C) 1997-2000 Samuel Rydh <samuel@ibrium.se>
  This kernel is NOT runtime patched
  Trying to apply MOL runtime patches.
  **** Examining '/boot/System.map' ****
  Discrepancy found, symbol value mismatch:
     c0008bb8 do_signal (c0008bf8)
     c000ad14 syscall_trace (c000ad7c)
     c0006d48 do_IRQ (c0006dd8)
  *** Failed applying the MOL-patches to the kernel ***
  *** Try 'startmol vmlinux' or 'startmol System.map' ***

How is it possible to find a System.map inconsistancy in a system that I
just set up yesterday?!!! We're talking FRESH, here!

Okay, when I try the alternate recommended commands I get this,
consistently:

  [root@powerbook repetty]# startmol vmlinux
  Mac-on-Linux 0.9.54, (C) 1997-2000 Samuel Rydh <samuel@ibrium.se>
  This kernel is NOT runtime patched
  Trying to apply MOL runtime patches.
  *** Failed applying the MOL-patches to the kernel ***
  *** Try 'startmol vmlinux' or 'startmol System.map' ***

This is as far as I got six months ago, too. I'm not dying to have MOL
running, but I do desire it.

I've checked over six months worth of mol-general archives and didn't find
anything to help me. Short of compiling a new kernel (which I don't do),
what's my next step to getting this puppy going?

TIA,

--Richard
  Austin, Texas