Re: Errors...

Subject: Re: Errors...
From: Quentin Mason (quentin-mason@cornell.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 14:09:03 MST

Hi Susan,

> > I tried running startmol System.map-2.2.18-4hpmac (current kernel),
> > of course logged in as root (even I know that much! :-) ). Same
> > errors. Any clues?

> > Is it to do with the particular kernel I am running?

YES -- almost certainly.

Some (older) machines kernels' cannot be patched on the fly. You might
also try upgrading mol from 0.54 -- look on the maconlinux.com website.
Note that it is important that you have a copy of the actual kernel that
you are booting from (which may be on the Mac side if you are using BootX
/ miboot) in /boot on the linux side.

To provide further assistance we would need to know (a) which machine +
hardware you have, and (b) which kernel you are booting from (try uname
-r). If you have a major release from a distribution such as Linuxppc or
YDL [I guess you have Linuxppc Halloween or Q4] then they usually come
with a mol-enabled kernel which you can try. Have a look on the cd.

The alternative route is to compile your own kernel which will run faster
on your machine and be optimised for your hardware. There are more
up-to-date kernels than 2.2.18-hpmac... There are patches in the
/usr/doc/mol-xx directory for the kernel source -- make sure that you
apply the patch *before* you choose your options so that you can select
the mol kernel support.

Best of luck,

Q.