Re: Errors...

Subject: Re: Errors...
From: Marcelo A. Ferreira Gomes (suporte@mac.com)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 12:51:30 MST

At 18:09 -0300 28/03/01, Quentin Mason wrote:
>Hi Susan,
>
>> > I tried running startmol System.map-2.2.18-4hpmac (current kernel),
>> > of course logged in as root (even I know that much! :-) ). Same
>> > errors. Any clues?
>
>> > Is it to do with the particular kernel I am running?
>
>YES -- almost certainly.
>
>Some (older) machines kernels' cannot be patched on the fly. You might
>also try upgrading mol from 0.54 -- look on the maconlinux.com website.
>Note that it is important that you have a copy of the actual kernel that
>you are booting from (which may be on the Mac side if you are using BootX
>/ miboot) in /boot on the linux side.
>
>To provide further assistance we would need to know (a) which machine +
>hardware you have, and (b) which kernel you are booting from (try uname
>-r). If you have a major release from a distribution such as Linuxppc or
>YDL [I guess you have Linuxppc Halloween or Q4] then they usually come
>with a mol-enabled kernel which you can try. Have a look on the cd.

That applies mostly for PowerPC 603 (and the [e,ev] variants) processors.
If your processor is not one of these, I'd ask what boot method you're
using.

If you use BootX, you need make sure that the kernel you have in your
/boot directory in the Linux side is the same as that you have in your
"System Folder:Linux Kernels" in the MacOS side. Also, make sure to
select it from the pop-up menu in the BootX dialog box. If everything
works ok, then you'd probably be better off clicking the "save to prefs"
button of BootX after you select the proper kernel during the next boot.

Hope this actually solves your problem. Maybe it's too basic for you, but
even the most advanced users sometimes forget about basic things. :-P

--
<mailto:suporte@mac.com>: não é ".br", mas é mais BR que os outros.
:-)