MOL and Netatalk

Subject: MOL and Netatalk
From: Joss Winn (joss@josswinn.org)
Date: Sun May 06 2001 - 17:22:02 MDT

Hello,

Happily runing the latest MOL on SUSE 7.1, I thought I'd try to get some
kind of communication going between MOL and Linux.

So far, I have:
I have eth0 at 192.168.0.3 ('linux')
routing is done via 192.168.0.1
MOL is 192.168.0.2 ('mac')

Using Netatalk, I am able to find 'linux' in the network browser of MOL.
 However, this is where things start going wrong.

I am unable to log into 'linux' as any user or root. Instead, it
complains about passwords or user names being wrong and I can only get
in as a guest. This sends me to /var/lib/nobody which I can use as a
dumping ground for files, and I can set up a sym link to my home folder
for quick access to those files, but it would be good to just log
straight into my home folder and have full permissions over the files there.

The AppleVolumes.default files is untouched and contains '~'
My .AppleVolumes.default file in my home folder contains the path to my
home folder. I have also tried adding 'allow:joss,@users' and
'password:xxxxx', but none of this allows me to log into 'linux'. I am
just a 'nobody'!

Also, I am unable to telnet into 'mac' because it says I don't have permission.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make MOL and linux more friendly?

Many thanks

Joss
please cc me if you have any suggestions.