Re: Server and Dev. Env. in one box...

Subject: Re: Server and Dev. Env. in one box...
From: Derrik Pates (dpates@dsdk12.net)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 13:17:06 MDT

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Sondra Russell wrote:

> 6. Apache server (a.k.a. 127.0.0.1) visible on MOL side.... Not done.

You mean Apache running in MacOS? (I don't think there's such a port.) If
you mean seeing the Apache on the Linux side, you'll have to bind to the
interface that the MacOS and Linux sides share, not just 127.0.0.1 -
127.0.0.1 is the "localhost" interface, and it can only be talked to from
the machine itself - not from an emulator (it has its own localhost
interface).

> 7. PPP connectivity on Linux side.... Not done.

If you have Debian, just use 'pppconfig' to setup a dialout profile. You
might use 'masqdialer' on the Linux side, and run a masqdialer client on
the MacOS side to control the dialup state.

> 8. PPP connectivity on MOL side.... Not done.

And probably won't happen either. You'll just have to masq packets from
the MacOS side out through the PPP interface. There's not (as yet) any
support for serial devices under MoL at all.

> I'm also generally fuzzy on the whole ethertap and IP Masquerading
> concept. How are they different? What are they designed to
> accomplish?

Ethertap is just one kind of virtual network interface. IP masquerading
rewrites connections to the outside world, to make everything appear to be
behind one address (or in the case of NATing to a set of addresses, a
small set of addresses).

Derrik Pates | Sysadmin, Douglas School| _ #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net | District (dsdk12.net) | | | and now OPN too!
   Student @ South Dakota School of Mines | __| |___ _ _ _ ___ _ _
       & Technology (www.sdsmt.edu) |/ _ / -_) ' \ '\/ _ \ ' \
UNIX: Because you want to USE your computer.|\___,\___|_||_||_\___/_||_|