Re: mol-general Digest 2 Nov 2001 23:19:17 -0000 Issue 244

Subject: Re: mol-general Digest 2 Nov 2001 23:19:17 -0000 Issue 244
From: Bob Beaton (bob@keyengine.com)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 14:03:13 MST

Mathew,

Many thanks for the suggestion! I failed to mention that I'm running ntpd
(ntp-4.0.99k-15) on the YDL side, as well as Mac OS 9.2 with clock
synchronization set to update every 12 hours in the Date & Time control
panel on the MOL side. Both ntpd and Date & Time sync to the same external
ntpd server (one of my own Mac 7100 YDL machines).

In general, the YDL and MOL clocks do not stay in sync with each other. I
first noticed the discrepancy when I woke-up the PowerBook from a KDE screen
saver. After running overnight, MOL woke-up several hours in error. I've
since turned the screensaver off. However, now I can watch the MOL clock
gain time throughout the work day. That is, if I sync both the YDL clock
(using ntptimeset) and the MOL clock (using the Time & Date control panel)
to the same external ntpd server at the start of the day, by close of
business the MOL clock gains several minutes. The YDL clock, on the other
hand, stays in sync with the external ntpd server.

Does anyone else have this problem? I hoping that I've just got something
funky in my setup. Any further suggestions would be appreciated greatly.
While I realize this may be a minor problem, it does cause grief during file
backups/synchronization with my desktop Mac--my file sync program complains
that the MOL clock is too different from the desktop Mac clock.

Thanks again,
Bob