Running MOL on NuBus

Subject: Running MOL on NuBus
speedy@carboncode.com
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 02:41:35 MST

Hello,

I am looking for help. I'm trying to run MOL on NuBus hardware.
Currently, the latest NuBus kernel is 2.4.5
(http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net). This is great, but since the PowerMac
x100 machines use a PPC 601 chip, this would force me to use MOL v0.9.53.
However, this version requires a patched kernel, with patches only
available for 2.2 kernels.

I'm wondering if there are any reasons why the 2.4 kernel cannot be patched
to run the older version of MOL. Or maybe bring 601 support back?

Older NuBus hardware can support large amounts of ram (256+ mB). And
currently, NuBus hardware requires the MkLinux booter, thus requring a
bootable Mac OS partition. Since a NuBus-linux'er is stuck with having a
dedicated MacOS partition of some sort, it would be great to actually be
able to make use of it, while using Linux.

Thanks,

Donnie Lunder