Re: Mol questions

Subject: Re: Mol questions
From: Denis/Janet Jarvis (dbjarvis@peak.org)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 08:57:10 MST

On Nov 5th, I posted 5 questions. On Nov 7th, there was a helpful
response from Quentin Mason <quentin-mason@cornell.edu>. He could not
give specific answers as he does not have the same computer
configuration and so, in case it is of general interest, I am giving
the current status. The delay in posting was caused by my vacation
trip. For brevity, I will summarize the previous items in the thread.

Results apply to my configuration: Mac G4 533MHz running, from
separate partitions, Mac OS 9.2.1, Mac OS X 10.1 and YDL
2.1+KDE+mol(Mac 9.2.1).
Linux kernel= 2.4.10-12a, mol= 0.9.60.

Q1. How to switch between mol and KDE.
When at the KDE desktop, run startmol from a terminal window to give
fullscreen mol+MacOS. To switch back to the KDE terminal press:
control+option+F7.
To restore mol+MacOS screen press: control+option+F8. Note that option=alt key.
Providing there are no peripheral or file conflicts, programs can be
running from MacOS and separate desktops of KDE. In particular, if
MacOS should hang, it can be killed with the KDE terminal and without
needing to reboot Linux.

Q2. Mol runs as a G3(without altivec) instead of G4.
I have not resolved why and further help is requested.

Part of /proc/cpuinfo is:-
cpu : 7400, altivec supported
clock : 533MHz
machine : PowerMac3,4

part of /etc/molrc is:-
#processor: G3
disable_altivec: no
netdev: eth0

yet startmol log shows, in part:-
Running in PowerPC G3 mode
Ethernet Interface (port 1) 'sheep-<eth0>' @ .....
Altivec is disabled

Q3. Why is scrolling slower under mol than native MacOS.
Is this because mol is running as a G3 whereas native uses altivec of
the G4 or is the graphics fundamentally slower in MOL?

Q4. How to avoid having to startmol under root.
Edit /etc/rc.local to add at the end:

#Next line preloads kernel on boot so subsequent startmol does not need root.
startmol --loadonly

Q5. Ethernet requires both separate IP number and separate slot for
Linux and Mol+MacOS.
Separate IP number can be permanent. Separate slot means that, when
using the same Mac OS 9.2.1 partition in both native mode and also
under mol, then, when changing modes, in MacOS you must select
ControlPanels:TCP/IP to force a change of ethernet slot. Quentin
Mason suggests using "Location Manager" instead but, since I have no
other reason to use it, I prefer to continue as above. Since changing
modes involves a total reboot, the extra steps are not really
significant. I would just prefer to avoid the slot change entirely.

Thanks for the help,
Denis Jarvis

--
*** Denis Jarvis, 1349 Magnolia Drive, Corvallis, OR 97330-3013, USA ***
*** Phone: 541-758-8060                     Email: dbjarvis@peak.org ***