Re: Mol questions

Subject: Re: Mol questions
From: Quentin Mason (quentin-mason@cornell.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 18:58:16 MST

Hi Denis,

I do not have a G4 but I can make some suggestions for some of these
things if you have not had any help already:

> I have a Mac G4 533MHz running, in separate partitions, Mac OS 9.2.1,
> Mac OS X 10.1 and YDL 2.1+KDE+mol. I start mol from a console on one
> of the KDE desktops. Mol runs on the full screen and mostly looks and
> feels like the native Mac OS.

Great.

> 1. When in mol, I can switch back to the KDE Desktop with option-tab.
> If mol (Mac OS) had locked-up, then I can kill mol and recover to
> Linux. Otherwise, if mol had been running normally, is there a way to
> return from KDE to full screen mol and just continue from before the
> option-tab?

If you have MOL in full-screen then it is on another "virtual-console".
You can try pressing things like ctrl-alt-F7 [the usual screen is on #7],
MOL should be on the next free one, #8. Numbers 1-6 are simple text
consoles. If ctrl-alt does not work on YDL try control-F7 and fn then
ctrl etc. Alt is usually the apple key but may be "option" depending on
your setup.

> 2. The altivec is not disabled in molrc, yet mol thinks the G4 is a
> G3. Is it possible for mol to run Mac OS as a G4?

Ahh, but does your kernel think that it is on a G4 ? Altivec support must
be on in the kernel. How do you know MacOS thinks that it is a G3 ? Look
at the loggin messages from startmol and it mentions altivec. This is the
true test of whether altivec code will run in MOL.

> 3. Mostly the speed of mol is similar to native 9.2.1. However,
> scrolling of windows in icab and eudora is noticeably slower and
> jerky. Is there any way of tuning the system to improve on this?

None that I know of. The graphics are not hardware accelerated in MOL so
most things are slower. On the flip side you might notice faster file
operations and virtual memory which linux is better at than MacOS.

> 4. I run KDE as a normal user but startmol has to run under root. To
> avoid having to keep typing the root password, is there any scheme of
> using setuid on some of the executables instead?

Yes. Look at the options to startmol. One of them loads the kernel
modules [which is what root-ness is needed for]. Something like startmol
--loadonly. Put this at the end of /etc/rc.local or equivalent. This
will get run as root every boot, then you should be able to do startmol as
a normal user. Unless you try some clever options you will only be able
to boot one MOL at a time though.

> 5. Although I have set up separate IP numbers for Linux and Mac OS 9,
> when using Sheepnet I have to ControlPanel/TCP-IP to change ethernet
> slot each time I change between mol and native booting of Mac OS. Is
> there any recommended scheme to avoid this?

I have found the "Location Manager" to be precisely designed for this
scenario. It can have different extension sets, sound settings, TCP/IP
settings etc. Are you sure that you need sheepnet ?

Good Luck,

Q.