Mol questions

Subject: Mol questions
From: Denis/Janet Jarvis (dbjarvis@peak.org)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 11:46:39 MST

I have a Mac G4 533MHz running, in separate partitions, Mac OS 9.2.1,
Mac OS X 10.1 and YDL 2.1+KDE+mol. I start mol from a console on one
of the KDE desktops. Mol runs on the full screen and mostly looks and
feels like the native Mac OS.
However, here are some questions that I have not been able find answers to.

1. When in mol, I can switch back to the KDE Desktop with option-tab.
If mol (Mac OS) had locked-up, then I can kill mol and recover to
Linux. Otherwise, if mol had been running normally, is there a way to
return from KDE to full screen mol and just continue from before the
option-tab?

2. The altivec is not disabled in molrc, yet mol thinks the G4 is a
G3. Is it possible for mol to run Mac OS as a G4?

3. Mostly the speed of mol is similar to native 9.2.1. However,
scrolling of windows in icab and eudora is noticeably slower and
jerky. Is there any way of tuning the system to improve on this?

4. I run KDE as a normal user but startmol has to run under root. To
avoid having to keep typing the root password, is there any scheme of
using setuid on some of the executables instead?

5. Although I have set up separate IP numbers for Linux and Mac OS 9,
when using Sheepnet I have to ControlPanel/TCP-IP to change ethernet
slot each time I change between mol and native booting of Mac OS. Is
there any recommended scheme to avoid this?

Thanks for reading,
Denis

--
*** Denis Jarvis, 1349 Magnolia Drive, Corvallis, OR 97330-3013, USA ***
*** Phone: 541-758-8060                     Email: dbjarvis@peak.org ***