Re: MOL 0.9.60 crashed thread w/ kernel 2.4.15-pre5-ben0

Subject: Re: MOL 0.9.60 crashed thread w/ kernel 2.4.15-pre5-ben0
From: Martin Hill (mhill@alumni.uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 05:35:35 MST

On November 19, 2001 23:19, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >I have been using MOL 0.9.60 successfully with various 2.4.x kernels on my
> >TiBook for a while, and recently upgraded to BenH's 2.4.15-pre5-ben0
> > kernel version. Now MOL is unable to start, with the following appearing
> > at the end of the logfile:
> >
> >***** SIGNAL Hangup in thread async-io thread *****
> >HUP: _pid 0, _uid 0. Last RVEC 0
> >Exiting due to a crashed thread
> >cleaning up...
> >***** SIGNAL Hangup in thread X-thread *****
> >HUP: _pid 0, _uid 0. Last RVEC 0
> >
> >Everything up to that point was as before. The crash occurs just before
> > the MacOS progress bar should be drawn.
> >
> >I compiled and installed the mol kmods for the new kernel, and they seem
> > to load without problems. Also, the kernel configuration was largely
> > unchanged from kernels I was using before.
>
> Weird. I use MOL all the time with all my kernels without problem on a
> Pismo (which is very similar to your tibook except for the CPU).
>
> Can you try without X video ? (disable it in the config file).
>
> Ben.

This is weird. I tried without X video, and same result. Then I tried using
the pre-built 2.4.15-pre5-ben0 kernel from ppckernel.org, just to see if it's
my kernel config causing the problem, but again same result.

I'm using MOL from the 0.9.60 RPM, and built the kmods myself, making sure to
use the correct headers as per the user manual. Perhaps you could send me
your kmods, just to make sure that's not the problem.

I've never had a problem with MOL using the bitkeeper linuxppc_2_4 tree. I
switched to the -ben0 tree so I could use things like DRI and other
improvements.

Martin