Re: PCI devices under MOL

Subject: Re: PCI devices under MOL
From: Quentin Mason (quentin-mason@cornell.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 21:49:06 MST

> I have an application which requires direct access to hardware in a PCI
> slot, but under MOL the PCI bus doesn't seem to be visible.

> Is there any way of releasing the PCI bus from Linux and using it from
> MACOS?

Not as far as I know... Many people hope to be able to use some
non-linuxable hardware in MOL but unfortunately that is not quite how it
works. All of the disks (cd,zip etc) have a linux driver in MOL and that
is why they show up as hard disks and sometimes you get better I/O than
regular MacOS... USB, firewire, direct hardware accelerated video are all
things dreamed about but not yet implemented. wrt PCI I believe that
previous discussions have suggested that it is possible, however nothing
has come of it to my knowledge, sorry. The best answer is "sooner if you
help write it".

Q.