Re: signal 15, menu problems, instability

Subject: Re: signal 15, menu problems, instability
samuel@ibrium.se
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 06:46:31 MDT

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 10:39:49AM -0400, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
> This is actually a continuation of my posted observations about mol's
> instability, but I've now been trying to use mol in full-screen mode
> and the situation is -much- worse.
>
> Kernel is 2.4.9-bk, and mol is 0.9.61, rsynced on Oct 8. Box is 9500
> with Powerlogix G3. MacOS is 8.6. One of the ongoing symptoms since
> way before that date and version of kernel and mol is that the mouse
> will go into some sort of funny "mouse down" mode. IOW, I can't
> select anything with a click, but if I move the mouse over any finder
> menu, it will drop down, and the individual items will highlight if I
> move the mouse over them, but they cannot be selected. The clock
> continues to run, and the Mac volumes can be mounted over the network
> via Appletalk and files copied to and fro just fine. Coincident with
> this behavior is that the box goes deaf to TCP/IP, although it can be
> pinged fine, which I guess is more due to Linux running.

The matter with TCP/IP is actually quite simple. If the
mouse button is kept down in MacOS, TCP/IP traffic
will stop eventually. This is caused by the lack
of preemptive multitasking in MacOS. AppleTalk/AppleShare
has a better asynchronous behavior.

That is, the core of the problem is the mouse button
getting stuck in the down position. Apparently MacOS
sees an unpaired mouse button down event. As a workaround
one could assign a key combination to trigger an extra
mouse-up, but I would like to track down the cause of
the problem. I'll add some debugging output and
upload a source tar with it tonight.

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 55308174