mol partial network response?

Subject: mol partial network response?
From: Stefan Jeglinski (jeglin@4pi.com)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 12:22:04 MDT

I've seen this off and on for several versions of mol and 2.4.x, but
I'd like to get to the bottom of it if possible.

mol-0.60, MacOS8.6, kernel 2.4.9 bk-ppc, PowerTower with G3 upgrade,
mol running on ethernet with its own unique static IP address.

Symptom: out of the blue (see Note below), clicking on any menu
causes menu-sticking to turn on but never unstick. It's as if a mouse
unclick never occurs, because no menu item can be selected after this
point, and no menu can be deselected. Moving the mouse over the
desktop causes the menu to go away as one would expect, but moving
the mouse back over any menu causes it to open again without any
clicking.

More importantly, since no menu item can be selected, nothing can be
done, no quits, no launches etc.

Simultaneously and more sinister, no TCP/IP connections can be made
to the machine any more. Oddly though, the machine can be mounted
over Appletalk and files can be manipulated over the network.

To summarize:
        no local control allowed
        remote control over Appletalk allowed
        no TCP/IP connections allowed

Killing mol and restarting it fixes things.

Note: the only commonality I can possibly see (and I'm somewhat
unconfident of this) is that every time it happens, there has
recently been file copying going via Appletalk to/from the mol
machine. IOW if I never copy files via an Appletalk connection, there
appears to be no problem for an indefinite time. Unfortunately
though, I can't trigger the problem on demand.

Suggestions? Upgrade to 9.x?

Stefan Jeglinski

.