Re: mol partial network response?

Subject: Re: mol partial network response?
From: Iain Sandoe (iain@sandoe.co.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 17:33:15 MDT

> mol-0.60, MacOS8.6, kernel 2.4.9 bk-ppc, PowerTower with G3 upgrade,
> mol running on ethernet with its own unique static IP address.
>
>[snip]
>
> Simultaneously and more sinister, no TCP/IP connections can be made
> to the machine any more. Oddly though, the machine can be mounted
> over Appletalk and files can be manipulated over the network.
>
> To summarize:
> no local control allowed
> remote control over Appletalk allowed
> no TCP/IP connections allowed

The PowerTower machines (Power Computing in general) have some problems with
the bandit which cause "DEAD" dbdma status to occur.

Do you have any problems on the linux side with network activity?

Do you have the "PCI timing update" init on the MacOS side?

It might be worth looking at the bmac? mace? (not sure which you have)
driver to make sure that it's got Takashi Oe's dbdma fix (I think he did
one).

You definitely *need* the latest dmasound driver if you want sound (I made a
fix for the "DEAD" dbdma status for that and put up patches on the
linuxppc-dev list).

It's possible that something is being 'fixed' twice (under linux and then
*again* under MacOS) - or that it _isn't_ being fixed under MacOS with the
booting arrangement you are using...

does any of that make any sense ;-?

ciao,
Iain.