Re: Unresolved symbol errors with 2.4.9 kernel & recompiled modules

Subject: Re: Unresolved symbol errors with 2.4.9 kernel & recompiled modules
From: Matt Larson (ml582@columbia.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 09:16:50 MDT

I solved my own problem, using some info from MOL list archive (sorry
for the extra list traffic, should have searched there first). This is
probably a problem that everyone who updates a kernel using the benh
source (and maybe other sources) will have, so in case anyone else hits
this, the solution--as per Samuel's suggestion--is to recompile the
kernel with the "Set version information on all module symbols" option
set to no. Once I did this, MOL started up just fine.

I never cease to be amazed by MOL, and among other things, how it
currently runs MacOS 9 apps faster than Classic mode on OSX, in my
experience. Great work.

Matt Larson

Matthew Larson wrote:

> I am currently having trouble getting MOL to start up on my iBook2
> running YDL 2.0 and MacOS 9.1. I have successfully run MOL on this
> machine before when I was running the 2.2.19 stock kernel from Yellow
> Dog. I have recompiled my kernel and am currently running the benh
> kernel, 2.4.9 to be exact. I have compiled MOL from source (first
> attempt, using rsync'ed code from a few weeks ago) and then I
> installed the latest RPMs. The kernel modules did not match, so I
> downloaded the source and recompiled a module for my current kernel,
> 2.4.9-benh0. However, every time I try to start MOL (both using the
> RPMs and compiling from source) using startmol I get a list of
> unresolved symbol error messages, reproduced below.
> Is there an easy fix for my problem? I've also trying insmoding the
> various modules, and the sheep.o module gives some similar-looking
> unresolved symbol errors. I am using a molrc file that worked
> previously. Also, don't know if it matters but MOL seems to want to
> identify my kernel as an SMP kernel, and I made sure that there was no
> SMP support enabled when I recompiled this kernel.
>
> Thanks for the help,
> Matt Larson
>
> [root@violet /root]# startmol
> /usr/lib/mol/modules/0.9.60/2.4.9-benh0/mol.o
> /usr/lib/mol/modules/0.9.60/2.4.9-benh0/mol.o: unresolved symbol
> securebits
> /usr/lib/mol/modules/0.9.60/2.4.9-benh0/mol.o: unresolved symbol
> force_sig

<snip>